Friday, August 3, 2012

Ocean Prime in Downtown Denver


Continuing my short trip in Denver, I went to the local Ocean Prime, a cool place in the historic Larimer Square block of downtown Denver (1465 Larimer St. Denver, CO). Dubbing themselves the "Modern American Supper Club," this is one of nine locations this successful restaurant group boasts, having started in Columbus, OH.

Had a quick drink at their downstairs bar (I believe called the Blu Lounge), and then went upstairs with my group for dinner. Its a place known for its seafood and steaks, and I don't eat seafood so I went straight for my steak formula. I always start with a french onion soup (nearly every good steak place offers a french onion soup).


This was actually among the better french onion soups that I have had. I particularly liked the cut-to-shape bread under the cheese. It was cut to fit the bowl, rather than just full of croutons, which provided a very good cheese:bread:soup ratio. The flavor was excellent too, with tender onions and a great broth.

The next part of my failsafe steak order is the NY Strip done medium-well. I also added a green peppercorn sauce to this one (I prefer ideally au poivre but this place didn't have it on the menu). I think I explained earlier I always prefer my meat more done than not, and that I find it very hard to find a steak or burger cooked exactly like I want it to be. Again, I know most people would send stuff back, but I never do. I like my steak with little (if any) pink inside and paradoxically very low exterior char. A couple of the steakhouses in DC and Arlington have been able to understand that combo when I order it (Rays the Steaks in Courthouse first and foremost). So I almost never hold the doneness of a steak against the restaurant because so few get it right, but it is right, they get massive credit for it.


This steak was not bad, not as done as I would have preferred and perhaps a little heavier on the char that I prefer, but it was still pretty tasty, especially the sauce. The meat was tender, and definitely not bloody. My cut was also not too fatty, with just a little bit in the spots that mattered to keep the meat moist on the grill. I also enjoyed a pretty tasty 2009 De Loach Pinot Noir from California's Russian River Valley. I particularly like a medium-light red with a steak when I get it with a sauce. I think that way it complements the meat without overwhelming any of it or the sauce's flavors. Overall I'd say I had a pretty good experience at this place, loved the decor and ambiance, and loved the location. I'd recommend it to others, and am eager to try other things that downtown Denver has to offer. Alas, I'll have to wait for another trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment