Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Fire Works in Courthouse

Fire Works is a relatively new edition to my section of the Courthouse neighborhood from the owners of the Tuscarora Mill out in Leesburg (which I've heard good things about but have not had the pleasure of sampling yet). When they built the new Courtyard hotel on that end of Courthouse Plaza, they included a big space for restaurant on the first floor (2350 Clarendon Blvd, Arlington, VA). When we got word that a wood-fired grill pizza place was opening up there, I got really excited. As it turns out, the place makes some dynamite pizza, and their varieties are as fantastic as they are unique & innovative.
When I go with a group I try and convince them to try some of the specialty pizzas, but when i'm just a party of one or two, I default to their lunch special. Its a personal sized pizza, with your topping choice of margherita, herb & cheese or their uncured pepperoni. I pretty much always go with the pepperoni. It also comes with a small salad (choice of house or caesar), really the perfect size for lunch.


It can get tough having to choose between multiple great pizza offerings in the area - between Faccia Luna, Fire Works, and the fantastically improved Toscana Grill (future post forthhcoming) - so I like to rotate. Each has different offerings and different values. 


Fire Works always has a consistently crispy crust, not too heavy a char (huge turn-off where pizza is concerned for me). The pepperoni is crispy but not overly so. I've never had a bad pizza of any sort here. I also enjoy sitting at the bar near the five-ton wood-fired oven, watching them tend the fire and cook the pizzas. Its especially excellent when its cold outside. 

One of things that sets this place apart from the other area pizza joints is their extensive and delicious beer offerings. They usually have something like 30 beers on tap, with a wide selection, and I particularly enjoy their hefeweizen/wheat offerings and their belgians/belgian-esques. They also have a ton of bottles in their selection. Its a great spot to grab a beer with lunch, if one were so inclined. I've also done a bunch of happy hours there and its been great. Stop in sometime and grab the lunch special, I bet you'll like it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment