Thursday, August 2, 2012

Denver's DiCicco's

This will be my first post while traveling. I'm in Denver, CO for a business trip over two nights, so I had a chance to visit a place that was highly recommended both by the internet and the hotel staff (helps that its probably the only non-chain in walking distance. The place is called DiCicco's and its a family-owned Italian restaurant out here near the airport. The have another location in Arvada, CO as well. I brought a party of around 10 and a good time was had by all.


Once we got our group seated, they brought some bread and a dipping sauce made of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mashed garlic, and herbs. It was very tasty, the garlic was fresh and the bread was hearty. Not really a crispy Italian bread, closer to a sourdough I'd say, but still very good. 


I ordered a basic Tortellone; I usually order something simple at an untested Italian restaurant. I find that if the simple basics are lacking, then the more complex Italian fare won't cut it either. I also am of the opinion that you can easily gauge the quality of any Italian restaurant by ordering the lasagna. Its pretty easy to tell if its been carelessly prepared or reheated in a microwave. 



I'm happy to report however, that the tortellone I ordered was pretty good actually. The sauce wasn't bad, not too acidic, not too salty, and not too watery - the three most common complaints I have with marinara sauces at restaurants. The meat filling was hearty but not overwhelming. And the pasta was thick and cooked properly. Lots of places make tortellone like its just a larger tortellini and a heartier filling can easily break through the pasta if you don't make it correspondingly thicker. 


There were other things that looked good on the menu, and given the positive pasta experience I had here, I would like to try their pizza. I heard good reports from my colleagues around the table, particularly for the dishes with their house-made sausage. Looks like positive marks all around!


http://diciccoscolorado.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment