Thursday, July 19, 2012

Me Jana - Like Family

When you first arrive at Me Jana on the corner of Clarendon Blvd. and N. Adams St (2300 Wilson Blvd Arlington, VA) and they put the menu down in front of you this is what appears at the top:
"Mejana" or "Ya Mejana" is an old Lebanese Folk Ballad that is sung to "welcome" friends, family members, and to share happy times, as well as to reminisce about the "good old days."
And boy is it ever true. I've been to Me Jana dozens of times and every single time I've walked in, be it alone or in a large group, I've been warmly greeted and everything but embraced. They treat you like family and are always pleased to see you - that alone is worth giving it a try. Of course it also helps that every single meal I've ever had here has been outstanding.

I highly recommend starting your table out with their humus, whether you are doing the mezze dining or going for a full on main dish. It is hands down the best humus I've ever tried. I've had multiple friends confirm this when we've gone. I have no idea what they do to make it so good, but the consistency and flavor are always spot on. It comes with their homemade pita bread, which is also a treat, as they're the perfect combination of light and fluffy but also chewy and flavorful.


Today I did not do the mezze, which if you've never done it is like the Spanish tapas where you do a couple of small plates of things for the table and everybody tries lots of things. I love grabbing a few friends and working out our selection. Its really a specialty of the house here and one of the reasons I think this place is a perfect lunch spot.

But alas, today was Thursday and Thursday is Ouzi day. Every Thursday they offer an off-menu special called Ouzi (pronounced like Oo-Zee), which is my all-time favorite dish they do. Sometimes I go, forgetting its Thursday altogether thinking I'm going to get something else or do a few small mezze plates. But every time I hear the server describe the dish...I fold. I've heard it so many times I could probably quote it back to you...
"First we take the chicken and we bake it nice and slow with a special spice blend until it falls apart and we take all the lovely juices from the chicken and we use them to make a nice Lebanese rice with some cinnamon. We serve it with a cool yogurt mixture. Its delicious you'll love it" 

You really have to hear the guy paint the picture for you. I've had the same server for about 90% of the visits I've had and he is just a treat. I wish I could remember his name but he is quite the character. But today I did not have him and thus my server almost forgot to tell me what the special was! Sadness.

But on the plus side, my food arrived in what felt like a matter of minutes. And it was perfect. The chicken is falling apart and practically melt in your mouth. The rice is rich in flavor and light in texture. They complement each other perfectly. You really don't even need the yogurt with cucumber chunks and spices. Speaking of spices, you can clearly taste the cinnamon as the primary flavor in the chicken and the rice - but its more savory than sweet because its balanced by more subtle flavors of what I believe are nutmeg and cloves among others. This dish is too good, its unfair to people with bland taste that this dish exists. You should go try it!

http://www.me-jana.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment