Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Baltimore's Pratt Street Ale House

A few weeks ago I had the distinct pleasure to attend Baltimore Comic-Con. While we had an absolute blast, we don't really frequent Baltimore much despite its relative proximity to where we live. We ended up driving both days of the con, due to our inability to procure a reasonably priced hotel room, which at around an hour wasn't too bad. Our first day we ended up "dining" on convention "food" which for her were what were generously called chicken tenders and for me was a cold Italian sandwich. I do not recommend either. Our second day we were meeting up with a good friend and former coworker of mine and his son (both of whom are nerd inclined - awesome). So we decided to try and venture out into a local eatery to find something more edible. We ended up at the Pratt Street Ale House, which was packed and fantastic.


Comic con was held at the Baltimore Convention Center, which is situated very close to Camden Yards where the Orioles play. That is the extent of my geographical knowledge of the area where we were. That and the Pratt Street Ale House is located on Pratt Street. Go figure. Anyway, we were sat pretty quickly, which was surprising because as I noted above the place was super busy - due to convention traffic plus the Yankees were in town to play the local ball team. 

We quickly discovered they brew their own beers under the name Oliver Breweries, so we tried their Blonde Ale. Very tasty, smooth, went well with the food - really a perfect beer for the beautiful and fun-filled day we were having. I also loved some of their other beer names, like Draft Punk and Pagan Porter. Very cool. After perusing their menu, I decided I was in the mood for a burger, and spotted their Ironman Burger. Being that we were at a comic book convention, I felt that I couldn't pass it up. The name plus the toppings really sealed the deal. Those familiar with my favorite burger from Ri Ra in Clarendon will not be surprised at my selection. Much like Ri Ra's Guinness BBQ Burger, this one came with cheddar, Ironman BBQ sauce, bacon, and fired onion strips. Awesome. 

The burger was perfectly cooked (which for me, as I've said before, is a big deal). The cheese was melty, and the bacon was crispy. The onion strips were thin and crispy, adding depth and texture to the flavor, plus a very satisfying crunch to the bite, especially on top of the bacon. It came with a pickle and fries, both of which were tasty. I could easily see us returning to this place to try some of their other beer and food offerings. We have already booked a hotel room for next year's Baltimore Comic-con and I will insist we return to the Pratt Street Ale House at least once when we return!



No comments:

Post a Comment